Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Simple Eulogy

Oh water heater, dear water heater...I cannot express to you my grief at your passing.  I would gladly write you a poem, but I find myself unable to find words to rhyme with water heater.

You left us and you never said why.  You just poured out your gallons of tears upon our hearts and my son's bedroom carpet.  I never realized you loved video games so much that you would cry buckets over them.  It seems I really didn't know you at all.

You rusted away your life there on the far side of our attic, never once tentatively approaching us for help.  Why did you let it be too late, dear water heater?  Could we have saved you had we known the physical and mental deterioration you were going through?  Oh, if we had only known how far gone you really were.

We did truly love you and appreciate you, water heater.  You stood guard in the ceiling between bathrooms #2 and #3 like a mother fiercely guarding her children.  You took great pride in filling those pipes with steaming, hot bathing bliss for us for seven years.  Did you not realize how much we cared?  How we had that little rush of pleasure and thoughts of "ooh..heaven" when that cold water running through our hands while we were kneeling at the tub finally turned to warm, and then nice and hot?

I am so sorry, my faithful appliance.  Sorry we did not realize sooner the trouble you were in.  We didn't hear your mournful cry for help until it was too late.  Sorry you left without so much as saying goodbye.

********

Funeral Arrangements for Water Heater #3

Clean up of water followed by trash can placement to control dripping -- 10:00 p.m.

Attempt to drain #2 -- 10:30 p.m.

Cap off and attempt to drain....again.... -- 1:30 a.m.

Trip to Home Depot for parts -- 7 a.m.

Hopeful repair of most of the mess -- 9:30 a.m. until

Roadside final viewing immediately assuming the family can figure out how to get appliance out of ceiling

No comments:

Post a Comment